9 Questions to Ask at Project Kickoff
Seasoned instructional designers know projects can get derailed for a variety of reasons, such as changes in scope, unstable content, and shifting deadlines, to name a few. However, some obstacles can be detected early by simply collecting the proper information at the beginning of a project. Use, and expand upon, this checklist during project kickoff to ensure you have the information you need to identify—and mitigate—potential obstacles in the project before they mushroom out of control.
- What is driving this project?
- What do learners need to do differently to fill the gap?
- What are the learning audience’s design and delivery needs?
- What learning assets are in scope?
- What is the preferred training development approach?
- Where is the training content coming from?
- What technology and tools are available to learners (and facilitators, if applicable)?
- Who is on the project, and what are their roles?
- Are we on the right path?